Dethiielts tiếp tục cập nhật thêm một số thành ngữ thú vị liên quan đến thời tiết đến cộng đồng sỹ tử đang tu luyện thi IELTS nhé. Hãy theo dõi và đóng góp ý kiến để Dethiielts phát triển vững mạnh nhé.
1. Have your head in clouds
Meaning: trên mây, ý nghĩ không thực.
A: What do you think of the new book by Jack Johansen?
B: …. (silence)
A: Hey! Are you paying attention? Your head was in the clouds, wasn’t it?
B: Sorry, I was thinking about what I’m going to have for lunch.
- He has his head in the clouds if he seriously thinks he’s going to get a promotion soon.
2. It's raining cats and dogs
Meaning: mưa như trút nước / mưa như chút nước
- It's raining cats and dogs out there! It's a wonder any of the men can see what they're doing.
- The weather was horrible on Saturday. It was raining cats and dogs all day.
- Take you umbrella and a jacket because it’s raining cats and dogs outside.
3. On cloud nine
Meaning: vô cùng hạnh phúc.
- When I got my promotion, I was on cloud nine. When the check came, I was on cloud nine for days.
- For a few days after I heard I'd got the job, I was on cloud nine.
- They were both on cloud nine during their honeymoon.
4. Put on ice
Meaning: trì hoãn.
- I know he keeps pestering you for an answer, but we'll just have to put him on ice until we have more facts to go on. Let's put this project on ice till we find out how well it's financed.
- The project has been put on ice until our boss decides what to do next.
5. Ray (glimmer) of hope
Meaning: hi vọng điều tốt đẹp sẽ đến.
- The transplants offers Lucy and her parents a new glimmer of hope.
- There is a ray of hope after all, it looks like we won’t be losing our jobs.
6. Save for a rainy day
Meaning: tiết kiệm cho tương lai trong trường hợp sẽ dùng đến (không đoán trước được).
- I've saved a little money for a rainy day. Keep some extra allowance for a rainy day.
- Don’t spend your entire wage in one night. You should save for a rainy day.
7. Steal someone’s thunder
Meaning: bị ai đó cướp mất sự chú ý.
- What do you mean by coming in here and stealing my thunder? I'm in charge here! someone stole my thunder by leaking my announcement to the press.
- Don’t wear that dress to the wedding; the bride won’t like it because you’ll be stealing her thunder.
8. Storm in a teacup
Meaning: chuyện bé xé ra to.
- I think it's all a storm in a teacup - there's probably no danger to public health at all.
- Those two are always arguing about something, it’s just a storm in a teacup.
9. Under the weather
Meaning: không khỏe mạnh.
- I feel sort of under the weather today. Whatever I ate for lunch is making me feel a bit under the weather.
Paul isn’t coming with us because he feels a little under the weather.
Các bạn hãy tiếp tục theo dõi bài viết của Dethiielts nhé.
Đăng ký nhận email từ các chuyên gia IELTS 8.5 của Học viện Anh ngữ EL sẽ giúp bạn cải thiện trình độ IELTS hàng tuần
Bạn sẽ có được:
- 1. Tài liệu, ebook về IELTS sát từng level, trình độ
- 2. Chia sẻ phương pháp, kinh nghiệm học IELTS hiệu quả
- 3. Các tips luyện thi IELTS: 30 tips cho writing 7.0+, 25 tips cho speaking 7.0+, 40 kỹ thuật cho reading 9.0, 10 kỹ thuật cho listening 8.0...
- 4. Tổng hợp bộ đề thi IELTS qua các năm kèm theo hướng dẫn giải đề
- 5. Coaching - giải quyết những vấn đề khó khăn khi bạn học IELTS…